Sunday, April 27, 2008

Rain, rain, come this way!

Well, it looks like it will rain in the next 24 hours! The chance is 89% and the most probable rain amount is 0.63". I love accuweather.com! Hope for that rain, we could defiantly use it...

This weekend was a planting bonanza, and with the rain to set everything in we should be golden for first market, if the weather stays at least reasonably warm. The next couple days of coolness are no problem as nothing will have germinated yet, and everything we put in is tolerant to at least to a light frost...

Both hubby and I got sun burnt this weekend, and I got fried!

I think I know when it happened, when I was mowing the lawn... I have to say, if you ever decide to get a farm get a house with a TINY yard, ours is 2 acres and takes a couple hours to mow, it is so frustrating when you know there is "real" stuff to do, but the lawn needs mowed when it looks as scraggly as ours did, and it looks so much better then it did, but I can never help feeling something else needs done more...

But this was a productive weekend, among other tasks we managed the following: disc and till a couple acres, lay over a mile of hills, plant about half a mile of seeds, weed wack all around the electric fence, remove all the kale from the rows, run to TSC to get some chain for the tractor, do Internet research on sunflowers and sweet corn, create a field map, mow the lawn and around the small field, pull a dozen 5 gallon buckets of rocks from the filed, transplant the last 200 tomato plants to bigger cells, and start a few more trays of seeds... Sometimes I wonder how much we would get done if the farm was our only job, but that is not to be for a couple more years, and for now we just need to put our heads down on weekends like this and work!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's incredible you work a day job and run such a huge farm. I'd love to own a farm some day. Right now I'm happy tending to my 4 raised beds :) Found you on Twitter by the way!

CSA Farmer Girl said...

Hardly huge, this year we are aiming for a little over 2 acres of gardens as our goal. It can be a challenge at times, but really we cannot complain, we are making our dream come true, and that can be hard work from time to time...