Sunday, September 27, 2009

Yummy day...

Sitting in the house after pickup I am so grateful for the life we are able to live. Yes, it would be nice if the farm was self supporting and I did not have to be at a desk at 7:00 tomorrow morning, but we have so many blessings.

We had a good day, with almost perfect weather after the morning clouds cleared, it was an amazing fall day. On days like this with the fall breezes and beautiful trees starting to turn it makes me remember why we have made this (probably crazy) choice.

After pickup I came in and started my favorite pasta sauce, which is so easy! As I sit here I can smell it... All you do is set your oven to 450. When it is heating roughly chop a couple peppers, a couple onions (or 1 big), a couple garlic cloves, and plum tomatoes. Before yesterday I would have cut them in half and carefully removed the seeds but yesterday one of our members showed me how you could just cut the top off the plum tomato and squeeze out all the seeds and junk, it is like magic, really!

Anyway, just roughly chop the stuff, maybe add carrots. Let it cook until everything is soft then broil it, mixing often. When it is nice and caramelized (they will be in the oven for 90 minutes or more) hit it with a stick blender, or put it in your food processor (or vita mix if you are so lucky!) I like adding a little balsamic vinegar & a bit of Parmesan. It smells so good and tastes even better...

Everything tastes better roasted! You can do the same with canned tomatoes come winter, but this time of year with the end of summer flavors, with a glass of red wine, and it just feels so nice....

No comments: