So I go down stairs, grab the "New Best Recipe Cookbook" which is our standby cookbook and look at the pumpkin pie recipe... Quick math - make crust - refrigerate - blind bake - make filling - bake.... 11:00... SHIT!!! How long was that turkey supposed to bake? OK - dinner is at 2:30 instead of 1:30!
- King Aurthur Organic All Purpose Flour
- Butter - Amish Roll butter - I have no clue if this is really local
- Lard - Purchased from Duma Meats - local
- Sugar - Michigan Beet sugar - not organic
The filling was more embarrassing for a localvore farmer! You would think I would have thought of this meal in the spring and planted for it! But our squash did very badly this year. At least I could have thought of it at the farmers market and bought a squash to use... Yeah --- No... So the filling went...
- Libby canned pumpkin - BPA and all - who knows where it comes from!
- Brown Sugar - regular Domino from who knows where?
- Spices - Marco Polo Rule - always
- Eggs - Local and free range - but frustratingly not our own
- Milk - Hartzler's - Local and pretty natural
- Cream - Conventional and not local
Eventually the pies went in! They took a while to cook, I think I used a deeper then normal pie pan, but they came out great!