Monday, December 17, 2007

Finally!

Well, we got our snow. I guess you have to be careful what you wish for!

But really, I enjoy the snow, especially when it is polite enough to come on the weekend and be relatively clear by Monday morning commute... Heck, even the windy, curvy, hilly road to our farm was plowed and pretty good.

But it was a productive weekend. I got double batches of 6 types of cookies made, carmels, and marshmallows. I got gifts bought and wrapped. On Saturday I even made a new recipe, an Onion Panade. It was very different, but good. My husband even declared it good enough to put in "winter rotation," which I guess means I should make it often. It was layers of dried bread, caramelized onions, and cheese, then topped with beef broth and baked for an hour. (But when I thing of how many dozen cookies I could have made in that time! :) The biggest issue was that it called to be put in a 1-1/2 quart casserole dish. As I was layering I thought this would be a mistake, but I did not take precautions and put a dish under it. So when it overflowed (and it did) I ended up with a kitchen filled with onion smoke! Onion smoke and cookies do NOT go together! So I had to stop to clean the oven, which really slowed down my cookie production.

Anyway, one more week until Christmas, and after that I will FINALLY get back to talking about farm stuff! But this time of year (November - mid-January) is our farm down time. When we do little more then make some plans, service some equipment, and decide what seeds we will order. But soon that will change and I will bore you all with different stuff....

No comments: